¾ cup whole wheat flour
1 egg, separated
¼ cup wheat bran
¾ cup skim or nonfat milk
2 tbsp. wheat germ
1 tbsp. honey (optional)
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
¼ tsp. salt
- In medium bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, wheat bran, wheat germ, baking
- powder and salt to blend thoroughly; set aside.
- In mixer bowl, beat egg white just until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Whisk together egg yolk, milk and honey.
- Using rubber spatula, stir milk mixture into flour mixture, blending just until dry ingredients are moistened. (There should still be small lumps; do not over mix.)
- Stir in melted butter.
- Fold in beaten egg white until combined.
- Pour batter onto hot, greased waffle maker and bake.
- Makes about 2 cups batter