1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, separated
½ cup cornstarch
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
2 tbsp. cornmeal (optional)
1 ¾ cups milk
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- In large bowl, sift or whisk together flour, cornstarch, cornmeal, baking powder and salt to blend thoroughly; set aside.
- In mixer bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar; continue beating just until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Whisk together egg yolks, milk and vanilla.
- Using rubber spatula, stir milk mixture into flour mixture, blending just until dry
- ingredients are moistened. (There should still be small lumps; do not over mix). Stir in melted butter. Fold in beaten egg whites until combined. Pour batter onto hot, greased waffle maker and bake.
- Makes about 5 ½ cups batter
- Tip: Cornstarch makes the waffles crisper. If you don’t have cornstarch, you could still make great waffles by increasing flour to 2 cups. Bake as directed.
- Toasted Pecan & Cranberry Waffles:
- Sprinkle chopped pecans onto bottom grid of hot, greased waffle maker. Pour batter over pecans. Sprinkle dried cranberries over batter. Close waffle maker and bake as directed.