1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
¼ cup olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes in puree
1 cup each red wine and beef broth
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Coat beef with ¼ cup flour.
- Pour half the oil into pot. Set to STOVETOP HIGH and heat oil. Add beef to pot. Cook uncovered 10 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove beef from pot.
- Add remaining oil, carrots, celery, onion and garlic to pot. Cook uncovered 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, wine, broth, thyme and rosemary and heat to a boil.
- Return beef to pot. Set to SLOW COOK LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Cover and cook until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove beef to cutting board. Stir butter and remaining flour in bowl. Stir butter mixture into pot. Set to STOVETOP HIGH. Cook uncovered 2 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Serve beef with gravy.