1 red onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 c. tomato puree
1/2 c. basil, roughly chopped
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
1 large zucchini
1 medium eggplant
4 large Roma tomatoes
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a saucepan over medium heat add the onion, garlic, and 3 tbsp water. Cook for 7-10 minutes stirring regularly until soft and translucent.
- Add the tomato puree, basil, thyme and a generous pinch of salt and pepper into the pan and stir. Bring the mixture to the boil before removing from the heat and stirring through the balsamic vinegar. Set aside to cool.
- Slice the zucchini, eggplant, and Roma tomato as thin as you can (about 2mm in thickness). Depending on how large your eggplant is you may want to cut each slice in half to create a semi-circle shape so that they sit better in the cooking pan.
- Pour the tomato sauce into the bottom of the cooking pan. Layer the vegetable disks in lines over the top (ie. tomato, zucchini, eggplant, tomato, zucchini, etc...) pushing each one halfway into the tomato puree. Sprinkle the finished arrangement liberally with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the air fryer for 20 minutes at 356°F. Bake until the vegetables are soft and have a little color. Remove from the air fryer and garnish with more basil before serving.