½ medium yellow onion, chopped
½ small fennel bulb, coarsely chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 roasted red bell pepper, fresh or from a jar
¼ cup cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups vegetable broth
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, fennel, carrots and thyme leaves. Stir and cook until the carrot edges begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, bell pepper, cannellini beans, tomato paste, vegetable broth, and another few pinches of salt. Simmer until the carrots are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the simmered soup to a high speed blender (you can work in batches if you need to) and puree until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve in bowls with a drizzle of olive oil and the croutons on top.