1 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tbsp. white sugar
5 tsp. butter melted
5 tsp. flour
1/4 cup cold milk
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. freshly grated orange zest
1 tbsp. brandy-based orange liqueur(such as Grand Marnier®)
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract2 egg whites
1/4 cup white sugar, divided
- Brush the insides of 2 (8oz) ramekins with 1 tbsp. melted butter and sprinkle with 1 tbsp. sugar.
- Melt 1 tbsp. butter and 2 tsp. butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; cook and stir flour in the melted butter until golden brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Pour in milk and cook, stirring continuously, until smooth and thick, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Stir orange zest and 1 tbsp. brandy-based orange liqueur into butter mixture until combined. Add egg yolks and 1/8 tsp. vanilla; mix until smooth.
- Preheat air fryer to 330°F. Whisk egg whites in a large bowl until frothy. Slowly add half the 1/4 cup sugar and whisk until combined; add remaining sugar and continue to whisk until the meringue is thick and holds its shape, but is not stiff.
- Fold half the meringue into egg yolk mixture until combined. Gently fold in the second half until well mixed. Transfer to the prepared ramekins, allowing 1/4 inch of space at the top. Place ramekins into the air fryer and program to 330°F for 12-30 minutes until risen and browned.1