1 large leek
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnish
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium head broccoli
1 ½ tsp white wine vinegar
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup light coconut milk, plus ¼ cup (60 ml) extra for garnish
2 to 3 cups loosely packed spinach
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice or 1 small lemon (optional)
Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Slice the white and light green parts of the leek into rings. Using a strainer, rinse the leeks thoroughly.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leek, garlic and a few
- generous pinches of salt and pepper. Stir and cook until the leek is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Chop the broccoli, stems and all, into coarse florets and add them to the pot. Stir and cook until just softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the white wine vinegar, then add the vegetable broth and coconut milk. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Let the soup cool slightly, then transfer to a blender (you can work in batches if you need to). Blend until smooth. Add the amaranth greens and blend again. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding a bit of lemon juice to brighten it up a bit if you like.
- Garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk and olive oil. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if desired.