1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. salt
2 large eggs
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
¾ cup milk
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut into chunks
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt to blend thoroughly; set aside.
- In large microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter and chocolate on HIGH 1 minute or until butter is melted. Stir chocolate until completely melted.
- Whisk in sugar and vanilla (Be sure mixture is not hot enough to cook eggs when added; cool slightly, if necessary).
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Add flour mixture, in 3 parts, alternately with milk, in 2 parts (Batter will thicken as chocolate cools.)
- Pour or spoon batter onto hot, greased waffle maker and bake.
- Serve with sweetened, quartered strawberries and whipped cream. For a special treat, top waffles with ice cream, caramel or fudge sauce, whipped cream and toasted nuts.
- Makes about 3 cups batter
- For Double Chocolate Waffles:
- Stir 1⁄3 cup mini chocolate morsels into prepared batter; bake as directed.