1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup water
Peanut oil for frying
2 1/2 pounds cod fillets, cut into individual portions
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, water, and egg; mix well.
- Set the temperature control knob to medium, 325 degrees.
- Heat about 1 inch of peanut oil in skillet until hot.
- Dip the cod fillets into the batter, coating completely, then fry in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes
- per side, or until the coating is golden and the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined platter. Serve immediately.
- Serve with tartar sauce or malt vinegar if desired