1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, separated
½ cup cornstarch
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
2 tbsp. cornmeal (optional)
1 ¾ cups buttermilk
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
¾ tsp. baking soda
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp. salt
- In large bowl, sift or whisk together flour, cornstarch, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt to blend thoroughly; set aside.
- In mixer bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar; continue beating just until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk and vanilla to blend.
- Using rubber spatula, stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture, blending until dry
- ingredients are moistened. (There should still be small lumps; do not over mix.)
- Stir in melted butter.
- Fold in beaten egg whites until combined.
- Pour batter onto hot, greased waffle maker and bake.
- Makes about 5 ½ cups batter
- Cornstarch makes the waffles crisper. If you don’t have cornstarch, you could still make great waffles by increasing flour to 2 cups. Bake as directed.
- Buttermilk Blueberry Waffles:
- Pour batter onto bottom grid of waffle maker; sprinkle batter with fresh (or defrosted frozen) blueberries. Close waffle maker and bake as directed.